Wednesday 7 February 2018

The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the TrainThe Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had no idea how I’d get on with this book. It was given to us for the Crime & Thrillers book group I attend; it is not one I would normally pick up. That said, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it managed to keep my attention. I’d worked out who the murderer was by some point in the middle, and from then on it was a pleasure to see how Hawkins went about revealing clues as to their identity. She does it quite masterfully in fact.
Much has been made on Goodreads of what a mess the main characters are. It’s true, many of them are unpleasant, but I found myself feeling sorry for the central character, Rachel. Hawkins makes much of the London commuter belt setting, which she portrays to perfection, so quite how the novel will translate into film once it’s been relocated to New York remains to be seen.
But that’s just my own humble opinion…what do you think? Do let me know! Read for the Crime & Thrillers reading group that I attend at Canada Water Library, and also for my 2016 Goodreads reading challenge.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment