Wednesday 7 February 2018

The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection

The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #13)The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Precious Ramotswe dreams of meeting a tall stranger who has come to help her. Then her dream comes true. In a sense this moment was destined long ago. It’s the perfect No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency conceit, which made me wonder if Alexander McCall Smith is doing what Agatha Christie did with Ariadne Oliver? I don’t think all the books in this series were created equal, but I thoroughly and unapologetically loved this one. All the usual suspects are here. Mma Makutsi, Phuti Radiphuti, Mr J. L. B. Matekoni, Fanwell and Charlie are all in fine form, Violet Sephoto gets a brief cameo, Mma Potokwani is uncharacteristically speechless, and naturally the shoes demand their say. We’re even introduced to a new character, Mma Soleti (Face) of the Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (!!!! – surely the business names he comes up with can’t get any better), who seems primed to take centre-stage in next instalment. What’s not to love? Fabulous gooey marshmallow, but probably not for the uninitiated.
But that’s just my own humble opinion…what do you think? Do let me know!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment