Wednesday 7 February 2018

The Glass Room

The Glass Room (Vera Stanhope, #5)The Glass Room by Ann Cleeves
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Here the murder occurs on a week-long crime writers’ course at a writers’ retreat in the Newcastle countryside. It’s interesting in that it touches on the obsessive nature and self-importance of fiction writing, as well as some of its processes (plus the truly destructive nature of literary criticism). I felt disappointed, however, that I never really got to see the inner workings of D. I. Stanthope’s mind, the way I did, say, for Nina Backworth, one of the tutors on the course. As a consequence, I found it hard to relate to her. A book for those who are already fans, I suspect.
I’m truly ashamed to admit that when I first posted this review, I got the name of Cleeves’s detective wrong. It’s now corrected, but I apologize profusely!
But that’s just my own humble opinion…what do you think? Do let me know! Read for the Crime & Thrillers reading group that I attend at Canada Water Library, and also for my 2015 Goodreads reading challenge. View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment