Wednesday 7 February 2018

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I came across this wonderful set of books last November when I picked up The Weed that Strings the Hangman’s Bag at my local library, and I am so glad that I did. I been forced to read them out of order, borrowing one or another when a particular title became available (which is not the way to go with this series) but I finally got to Sweetness, the first book, this month. It’s set in 1950s rural England, a truly colourless post-war period, which the author lovingly recreates. I adore the idea that 11-year-old Flavia, the heroine narrator, is an expert poisoner! I introduced this series to our Crimes and Thrillers group at Canada Water Library, and they too are now hooked.
But that’s just my own humble opinion…what do you think? Do let me know!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment